In the Groove (Mon- Fri, 2- 5pm)
Cool Jazz Countdown (Friday, 1- 2pm)
Marcellus “The Bassman” Shepard has been an on-air radio personality for the last seventeen years, working in commercial and public radio. He is well-known for his distinctive deep voice which he uses for his afternoon drive shift, “In the Groove”, on WEAA 88.9FM in Baltimore, MD and as co- host of the nationally syndicated “Cool Jazz Countdown”, which can be heard in seven markets across the country. Marcellus is also the Assistant Program and Music Director of WEAA FM.
Marcellus also is television personality as he is the host of bi-monthly news magazine, The Baltimore Buzz which airs on Comcast in Baltimore City as he keeps viewers informed of everything Baltimore. You can occasionally catch Marcellus on the Big Screen as well as acting has been a love of his for years now. From extra roles in HBO’s “The Wire” to supporting roles in several independent films such as “ Hip Hop Task Force” and “Lorenzo & Monica-L.A.F.S.”.
Marcellus is committed to serving his community! In 2003 he and his wife, DeShawn – the former Mrs Maryland International 2006 - founded Project Goodwill to provide lunches, toiletries and sleeping bags to men and women living on the streets and in shelters in both DC and Maryland. Marcellus and DeShawn have been married for 13 years and live in Laurel, MD with their three boys.
Questions for the DJ
1. What is your favorite food? Macaroni & Cheese
2. Where did you grow up? Largo, MD
3. What do you like most about working in radio? Being able to share in the day of my listeners by playing a song that may uplift their spirits, spark nostalgia, put a smile on their face and help there day move along just a little bit better than it was!
4. What is your favorite book/books? Makes Me Wanna Holler, Nathan McCall
5. Top five favorite artists of all time?
The Isley Brothers
(It’s hard for me to play by the rules)
6. Favorite live performance attended? Too many to narrow it down to!
7. Vinyl, CD, or MP3? Prefer Vinyl for the Snap, Crackle and Pop! However, you can’t beat the convenience of an Mp3! So it depends on where I am!