© 2023 WEAA
Your Source for Cool Jazz and More THE VOICE OF THE COMMUNITY
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
We Need Your Support! Please make a donation today to keep this community resource on the air. Donate today!

Morgan State Football: Bears defeat Sacred Heart Pioneers

By Taylor Gardner with SGJC Student News Network

In search of their first win of the season, the Morgan State Bears were able to walk off the field with a victory. The team’s new head coach, Damon Wilson, earned his first win as a Bear today, defeating the Sacred Heart Pioneers 24-9.

Sacred Heart started the game with the ball but things turned around quickly after Morgan defensive back, Carlvainsky Decius, intercepted the pass on the first play of the game. Marquez McCray’s turnover put Morgan on offense at the 36-yard line.

At the conclusion of the Bears first drive, they were only able to come out with a field goal, going up 3-0 early in the first.

Morgan won the defensive battle in today’s matchup, playing very strong and showing lots of resilience in efforts of concluding the game with a win in their book.

Early in the second, Bears’ quarterback, Carson Baker, was able to find wide receiver, Avery Jones, for a 12-yard pass, pushing the lead to 10-0.

Not too much long after, Morgan regained possession but the drive ended in a blocked punt, putting Sacred Heart on the board 10-2, after the safety.

The remainder of the quarter consisted of penalties, sacks, incomplete passes and another blocked punt that eventually took the game into halftime, with Morgan still in the lead.

Morgan started the second half with the ball and after two penalties in their favor, pushing them up the field more, they were able to end the drive with a score, going up 17-2. Running back, Jabriel Johnson, punched it in the endzone after breaking for 18 yards on the previous play.

After another scoreless drive by the Pioneers, the Bears were able to continue moving the ball up the field, concluding yet another drive with a score.

Bears’ running back, Alfonso Graham, finds the endzone, extending the lead to 24-2.

The remainder of the quarter consisted of great defense on Morgan’s end and a sack that ran the clock down into the final quarter.

Sacred Heart was finally able to get on the board after McCray finds wide receiver, Troy Holland, on a pass play and cutting Morgan’s lead to 24-9.

The remainder of game was scoreless but still consisted of great Morgan defense. Very late in the quarter, another one of McCray’s passes were picked off by defensive back, Jae’Veyon Morton, putting Morgan back in possession of the ball.

Back up quarterback, Duce Taylor, took us out, taking a knee with a 1:40 left in the game and the Bears’ strong defense and affective offensive plan today worked in their favor.