A Twist on Milk and Cookies: Chocolate Chip Cicada Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are the most popular kind of cookies. They’re a perfect example of “comfort food”. People associate chocolate chip cookies with a good time, especially children who enjoy this treat. Usually, you can discover a straightforward recipe in order to bake an amazing batch, but here’s a twist to this cookie recipe: cicadas! The recipe is very simple and may be one of the most delicious ways to consume the eerie insect:
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 beaten egg white
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
About 60 parboiled dry roasted cicadas (roast for only 8 minutes so that they retain some moisture)
1. In a large bowl, beat shortening with eggs, the 11/2 cups sugar, cooled chocolate, baking powder, and vanilla until well combined, scraping sides of bowl.
2. Gradually stir in flour till thoroughly combined. Stir in the nuts. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar and beaten egg white. Place cicadas on waxed paper; brush with egg white mixture and set aside.
4. Shape dough into 1inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a cicada on top of each ball, pressing lightly.
5. Bake in a 375 oven for 8-10 minutes or till edges are set. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Enjoy your freshly baked cicada cookies with an ice cold glass of milk!
ALSO READ:Bug- Appétit: Cicada Tacos